Brett is learning the power of prayer. Earlier today he was helping me fold his clothes. He wanted to fold his socks and was searching for them through the rest of his clothes.
Let me paint a little picture for you first. Imagine a huge pile of clothes on the bed. It looks like laundry hasn't been done for a good month. They all happen to be Brett's, even though I just washed and put away his clothes last week. How could he have such a gigantic pile of clothes for me to wash and put away today? When I asked him that question he simply replied, "Mom, once they touch the floor they are dirty." So I say, "Just because the shirt fell off the hanger and landed on the bottom of your closet does not make them dirty." He quickly corrected me.
So we have an incredibly large pile of his clothes to sort through and he is searching for his socks. He told me that he needs to pray to Jesus so He can help him find his socks. He leaves my room (because I had the t.v. on), says his prayer and comes back in. Meanwhile, I had found some socks and pulled them out into the middle of the bed. He sees them and is really excited his prayer worked, so he sticks his head under Jabon's pillow (to block out the t.v.) and I hear him mumble a prayer of thanks. It was incredibly sweet to see my little guy demonstrate his spirituality like that for such a simple thing like finding socks!
This is not the end of it. No, this keeps repeating. He needs to find a matching sock, says he needs to pray to Jesus, buries his head under the pillow, and says his prayer. He comes out from under the pillow, and like before, I have found more socks and placed them in sight. He gets excited and then says his 'thank you' prayer. This repeated itself probably a dozen times. Finally, I had to tell him that he is technically praying to Heavenly Father through Jesus and he seemed to be able to understand that.
At one point, he had only two socks left, and neither of them matched. He said his prayer and pulled his head out from under the pillow. He sees that no new socks had arrived to make the matching sets and exclaims, "WHAT! Didn't He hear me?!" I said that of course He did, but He won't make socks magically appear. I had just happened to find socks each time he prayed, so Heavenly Father was helping me help Brett. Thankfully, he was happy with that.
I remember one of Brett's first night time prayers he asked for bananas. Guess what he got the very next day?
Kids are funny, but I think it is so cute to see their faith grow and to watch them experience it.
Emma's polka dot birthday party!! Dec 2010
14 years ago
5 comments:
Brett is one of the coolest kids I know. What a sweet boy!
That is such a cute story! :)
I love it when kids (boys especially) show their spirituality. It just warms my heart!
I LOVE it!!! watching them grow spiritually is such a joy!
Holy Cow. I am so glad I was looking on Stacie's blog and came across this. I hope things are well. It is good to hear you have three boys. Check out my family blog at stokercrew.blogspot.com
Kristin Lindsay Stoker
Post a Comment